Thursday, August 5, 2010

International Beer Day


Today is the day we've all been waiting for, at least all of us over 21 (or 18 in Europe...or 12 in Russia...): INTERNATIONAL BEER DAY! So after getting excited about it last night, Emma and I trekked out after work to the other side of the park to buy groceries for dinner and the all important, international beer.

A few months ago I invested in a Whole Foods 32 oz. growler- a container like a jug used to carry drat beer purchased at local brewpubs. (courtesy of www.byo.com/resources/glossary) Upon moving to Brooklyn in July, I was told that I could take this Whole Foods growler and have it filled at the same discounted price at the local brewpub, "Bierkraft." Well, today, after a long hike up and down Mount Prospect, which actually facilitated a good catch up convo with a close friend, my excitement and anticipation was dashed to pieces as I found out that only 64 oz. growlers could be filled at Bierkraft's taps. Well, Plan B, what international beer should I choose to celebrate this special day? After consulting a helpful salesman--not hiding well my utter disappointment--he pointed me toward the Koenig Pilsner (www.koenig.de) imported from Germany through Anna's very own College Station, TX. He said it was a light refreshing versatile Pilsner that would compliment well the bison tacos Emma was preparing back home. And the biggest plus: it came in a can.

I took his word for it, bought the beer and turned around to make the long journey home. A rejuvenating conversation with a friend from college brought me out of my inability-to-fill-a-32-oz.-growler-funk as did the amazing aroma of Mexican food mixed with fresh-baked cookies that met me upon opening the front door. Emma had worked her magic and dinner was almost ready. Throwing the international brewskies in the freezer to cool down quickly, I helped heat tortillas as she put the finishing touches on her cookie dough. When Anna arrived home, we sat down to a Mexican taco feast, not complete without the Jenni Schmidt Salad. With a toast to international beer and a quick thanks for food and good friends, we dined to the heart's content. I do have to say bison and Koenig inspire great, deep conversation.

I hope the rest of you enjoyed this day as much as we did. Three cheers to the breweries of the world. Hip hip hooray. Hip hip hooray. Hip hip hooray!

Sarah

3 comments:

  1. yayyyyy for international beer day and new bloggers!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did y'all sit at the wonderful table while drinking and enjoying Mexican food?

    ReplyDelete