Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Watermelon Day and ALMOST National Night Out

So let me tell you about what went down today...

I checked my calendar before I left school and saw that it was "National Night Out." I was pretty tired and not that motivated about celebrating and so I hopped on the subway to go home. As I was exiting the subway station, about 6 policemen were coming in. They were the BEST-LOOKING policemen I've ever seen. I wondered what was going on - anytime you see 6 cops going anywhere you think there's trouble - but they didn't look like they were chasing anyone. I started my walk home wishing I had talked to them. I should have said something! When I got home, there was a sign taped to our door that said "National Night Out Against Crime" and it was hosted by the police department! I realized that's where all 6 of the good looking cops were going. This was perfect. A way to celebrate a great national holiday and get a second chance to talk to these guys. So, I looked at the address on the sign. It said "Bedford Ave and Rogers Ave." I looked up the spot on my phone. It was a 20 minute walk - no problem! And I took off walking. And walking. And walking. And walking. I finally got to the intersection of Bedford and Rogers and there was noooooooo event happening. I thought, "well maybe I'm at the wrong spot and it's around here somewhere." I kept on walking all around the area. I walked to any place that I thought this thing might be. I got a great walking tour of BedStuy and Crown Heights (2 of the worst neighborhoods in Brooklyn), but it was nowhere to be found! Thanks Brooklyn Police Department for nothing. I could have married a cop, but now that chance is gone.

I walked home defeated and decided that I had no choice, but to celebrate today's other phenomenal national holiday ... Watermelon Day. I stopped at a fruit stand, bought a watermelon, and here is the result ...

Sorry I didn't take any pictures of my walking tour. I already stood out enough without stopping for photographs.

1 comment:

  1. We didn't go out either...we almost went to Whataburger's wear orange and get a free burger night, but Bella nixed that with an early bedtime...6:30!!!

    ReplyDelete